Thursday, May 13, 2010

Betsy McCall Paper Doll + Betsy's Farm Weekend - 1969

Remember you can click twice to enlarge this and then if you print it out somebody can play paper dolls!


It was the hottest, muggiest day. Daddy came home carrying his hat and jacket. "Wouldn't everybody like a nice, refreshing weekend on a farm?" he asked. I shouted, "Wowie!" Mommy thought a second and said, "Well, why not?" Daddy turned to Kerry. "And you, sir, any objections? And you, Miss Merry, will you join us?" They just rattled their playpen. "Good," said Daddy. "We're all agreed." It turned out to be the most fun I ever had in my whole life. In a directory, Daddy found a farm only three hours away. It belongs to the Reed family, They have darling little pigs, and four ducks, and a hound dog named Elvis, and a white pony, Angel, with a golden mane. And a daughter, Trudy, just my age. We helped her mother frost a cake -strawberry- and we got the bowl to lick. The twins ate home-baked bread with jam and got their faces and their hair sticky with it. Daddy milked a cow, and I must say the cow was very patient, because he is NOT a very good milker. Trudy and I splashed around in the brook and sat on a rock to dry in the sun. We talked and talked, until Mommy came and said it was time to go. We hated to leave, because the Reeds became.our friends. Daddy promised us more weekends there. Wouldn't it be fun if you could come, too?

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, this brings back memories for me. I used to cut the Betsy dolls out and play with them (when my grandmother gave me permission to cut up her magazine, that is).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved these paper dolls as a girl. loved. thanks for bringing back memories.

    ReplyDelete